Friday, August 20, 2010

What is wrong with my mother?

Since I was young, my mom has always been selfish, had a bad attitude, rage issues, etc. After years of her infidelity/erratic behavior my parents divorced in 03. We thought she was on drugs because of the way she'd say/do strange things then act like she had no memory of it. She had a bf that she'd left my dad for. He dumped her recently, but she won't let go. She keeps calling me leaving me strange messages, and saying stuff that makes no sense. Then days later she has no idea what she said. She's never had a real relationship with mine or my sister's kids and has even bragged about it. She likes to think she's still young. This has gone on for years, so its not a midlife crisis. I don't know how to deal with her. Ive put up with her selfishness, mood swings and supposed forgetfulness my entire life. She'll pretend to be a great mom/grandma for a week, then wont contact me or my sister at all. Im so tired of her acting this way. Do I tell her, or avoid her?What is wrong with my mother?
sounds like she is Bipolar or drinking or drugs, but ho knows, in any case, it is affecting you and your family and I for one would not stand for it. I would sit down with her and tell her either she gets help or yo will see her later when she acts like a grown up. Good luck! none of this is your fault and she needs to grown up at some point.What is wrong with my mother?
She sounds Bipolar and it also sounds like she was drinking or was on drugs. You might want to send her to the doctor to see what is wrong with her it may be something you can control.
She might be Bipolar...
Hunny, unfortunately, you can't ignore her :) At some point we realize that our parents are just like us, but, a little bit older. Another unfortunate, is that SHE is the adult and is almost appointing you the adult by giving you the impression that you have to care for her. You can't make her do what she doesn't want to. You sound very mature. You can definitely voice how you feel, in a loving way of course :) I just don't think it will do anything, unless she truly wants to. Im sorry to hear you are going through this. It's hard when a parent starts acting strange. From what you wrote it seems to me like she needs help of some kind ie: professional councelling of sorts.


Keep your chin up. Take care of yourself :) Do what you can, then step away and don't take this burden on yourself.


I hope this helps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment