Friday, August 20, 2010

Mother in law advice?

ok I need help, I have a mother in law who used to be my best friend/ aside from my hubby. She was awesome. Long story short, she did a lot of horrible things, ended up divorcing my f.i.l and blaming everything on him and ';his infidelity'; when come to find out it was actually the other way around. It has really hurt a lot of people but she is now remarried to a man nobody really cares for, she is sneaky and manipulative, and blames others for her doing. I havn't spoken to her in almost a year. We have moved recently and have a one year old little boy now, the problem is that we live next door to the grandparents, (her parents) and they keep trying to force us to love/ like her. They don't know what she's done and we don't want to upset them by telling them, (they are very stuck in their was and probably wouldn't believe us anyhow). The big problem is now she is coming up for a visit for over a week and will know if I am home or not obviously. I can't hide, but I can hardly stand to be around her and her ';husband'; who by the way picked up my five month old BY THE WRIST to move him!!! He should not be around children, he's a careless clumsy oaff around them. I don't know what to do. OH! and to top it all off, another soon to be sister in law is also coming and my darling mother n law told her that I (in reality she) said all of these nasty things about her, which were comments that I might have agreed with, but that originated out of her mouth!!! How do I deal with my brother in law, his soon to be wife, (who probably hate me) and my ';darling sweet innocent'; mother in law?????Mother in law advice?
First of all - it's okay to feel like you do. You've been betrayed. Acknowledge what you're feeling.





That being said, this isn't just a friend you can sweep to the side. This is the grandmother to your child, the mother to your husband.





What do you do? You put on the big girl pants because your MIL obviously can't. You put on the happy face for that one week and be a part of the family. It's only one week. By no means are you required to spend all day, every day with them. If you're at home and they are at you husband's grandparents' house, it's okay. You have a child who needs to nap.





Also, talk to your husband about limits. My grandfather-in-law tried to carry my 2-month old around the house when he could barely walk himself. I didn't feel comfortable just ripping the baby out of his arms, so I was able to hold the baby WITH him. Other times my husband would step in and take control.





Remember this is his family.





Now as for your brother-in-law and his soon-to-be-wife, prove her lies wrong!! Be your sweet self. Show them a good time! Just because your MIL is bitter doesn't mean you have to be. Don't fall into her trap!Mother in law advice?
I would say c u n t punch your mother in law and kick them to the curb.
U don't deal with them at all! Are you renting from the grandparent in laws? Either way, just act as if they aren't there. If they knock or call, don't answer! However if you bump into them outside and they try to be nice to you then be cordial. If the mom and brother want to see your child as long as they are respectable I would let them. However if the brothers wife has an attitude, realize you don't owe her anything. You can tell her that you didn't start the drama or tell the lies and since she couldn't come to you as an adult and talk it over she is not welcome in your home. I would also make it clear that the oaf is not welcome in my house period because you don't want him around your child. You and your husband don't owe anybody anything, their indiscretions are not your problem and I wouldn't let it burden me! After all you have a good marriage and a beautiful son who needs anything else!


Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment